Monday, October 26, 2009

Huckabees Post

There are things that we do that make sense and there are things that don't make sense. I think that only you can determine what makes sense and what doesn't. In the movie there were things that made sense and things that didn't...i guess.

I think that in the end we do matter. I think depending on mood a belief like that may change. I feel that as we go deeper and deeper in to this topic I am becoming more and more nonchalant towards life and this idea of us mattering. And these assignments feel a bit redundant.

Bernard says "Everything is the same, even if it’s different.” which can be true depending on point of view. In my life I like to believe that what I do matters that who I meet and what I say matter. I want to feel like there is a point to life. I also feel that we can be easily manipulated.

Like Dawn, one minute she was the shining face of Huckabees and then one small 5 minute talk and she drastically revamped her life. Which was odd. Is that all it takes for us to completely change our lifestyle?

I feel that if you question life to much you become paranoid and you believe anything. I think that when it comes to life that it is best to just roll with the punches and that is exactly what all the people in the movie were not doing.

Bernard was looking too hard at his life to the point where he thought that something meaningless was meaningful. But that brought him to meet his other which ended up being great thing for him. Which brings me back to how somethings are meaningless and somethings are. But everything is connected.

At the end of the day everything does matter, the little things the big things and everything in between. I just think that there is no reason to go crazy about one thing in particular. Spread everything out in an even matter and let thing coincidences come and go as they please and see where they end up.

But of course that theory also poses the question of predetermination. Is all we do part of something that has already happened? And if the answer is yes then that poses the question of do we matter?

Then we end up back at square one. And I give up. Everything matters and don't think about it my philosophy.

1 comment:

  1. "Like Dawn, one minute she was the shining face of Huckabees and then one small 5 minute talk and she drastically revamped her life. Which was odd. Is that all it takes for us to completely change our lifestyle?"

    Hm. This gets me thinking.

    Over the summer my older brother and I were talking about how it's difficult to change, because when you change something about yourself, everybody comments. "Oh wow you're so much more outgoing now," "Oh I didn't know you were interested in that," etc. There's sort of a weird self-consciousness to changing.

    I have a friend who recently completely changed, not after a five minute conversation, but because of meeting someone new in his life. Everything about his personality reversed, he joined a radical political organization, and he moved to the other side of the country.

    I guess I'm wondering if sudden changes in our personality are natural, and should happen. Are they authentic? Are they just our way of restlessly wanting to be someone other than ourselves? Should we allow a five minute conversation to completely change who we are? Why are we so attached to the person we've been before anyway?

    I have no idea.

    Thanks for the thought-provoking post, Jacara.

    ReplyDelete